Applications for the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) grant bridging assistance for students in pandemic-related need are open today, April 1, 2021, for the month of April 2021.
This assistance will continue to be offered through the end of September 2021. Online applications must be submitted for one month at a time.
Before submitting your application, please make sure that you meet all the requirements and attach the following documents to your application - only then can your application be approved. Please also remember to include documentation of your own current efforts to find a new job:
- Enrollment at a state or state-recognized higher education institution in Germany - not eligible to apply are students at universities of administration and the German Armed Forces, in part-time or dual study programs, and guest students
- valid identification documents
- domicile and permanent residence in Germany
- significant financial cuts - family support, job, self-employment - must be caused by the pandemic.
- If these cuts are neither from the current month of application nor from the two previous months: Documentation of current efforts to change hardship, for example, two rejected applications for a part-time job
- authorization to dispose of a domestic bank account
- Total account balance of less than 500 euros at the time of application; submission of complete bank statements for all accounts from the month of application and the previous month.
- Only the Studierendenwerk /student union) responsible for the application will decide on the application
Attention: The bridging aid can only be applied for online via the following link: www.ueberbrueckungshilfe-studierende.de
Do you have specific questions regarding the application for bridging assistance?
The BMBF hotline can help: Phone: +49 800 2623003
Service hours of the hotline: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm.
The Deutsches Studentenwerk (DSW) has clearly summarized the FAQ on bridging aid for you.
For more information on help during the Corona pandemic, visit our Help in Corona Time page.