FAQ: War in Ukraine

On this page we provide information for our tenants who are affected by the war in Ukraine – of course regardless of their nationality. We answer the most frequently asked questions:


Who can I turn to if I can't make my rent payments because I don't receive money from home because of the sanctions?

In this case, please contact our rental accounting department immediately and describe your situation. Ms. Yildiz Colak is your contact person: y.colak@sw-stuttgart.de or phone: 0711 4470-1078. Together we will find a solution.


I cannot arrive as planned, what happens to my deposit or advance payment?

Please contact your responsible clerk at Studierendenwerk in advance of your move-in date. We will be happy to help you.

If it is already clear that your entry into Germany cannot take place, we will cancel your rental contract free of charge.


If I arrive later than planned in Germany, will my rental contract remain intact?

In this case, it is important that you inform your clerk about the late entry in time before the contract starts. In principle, the rental contract remains intact as long as the rent is paid. If no rent payment is possible, we will decide on a case-by-case basis whether it makes sense to continue the contract or to cancel or terminate it.


I have to go back to my home country because of the war in Ukraine. Can I cancel my room even at short notice?

If you have to interrupt your studies due to the war, you can terminate your rental contract with a notice period of 14 days to the end of the month. Please send the letter of termination by e-mail to the clark responsible for you at Studierendenwerk.


How do I get my money back?

Payment transactions between the Russian Federation, Belarus and Ukraine are severely restricted by sanctions. However, individual banks can still carry out transactions. Therefore, please check with your home bank about the current possibilities and conditions.

Studierendenwerk Stuttgart also offers the following service to international students: Deposits and withdrawals by barcode – we use the system of the provider viacash for this. You can use the barcode to pay out your rent deposit at various retailers such as Rewe, Penny or Real at the checkout. There are no fees. You can find information about this here on our website or you can contact your clerk.


Do you need advice and help on the topic of financing your studies or do you feel burdened by the current situation and want to talk to someone about it?

We are here for you! Make an appointment with our social counselling team or contact our psychological counselling center. All consultations are confidential and free of charge for students. You can find the contact persons and contact details here:

Social counselling

Psychotherapeutic counselling